Homework: Finish UP p. 5, 13-16, and 25-28. Also we are meeting in the auditorium tomorrow.
Due Today: UP p.19-20
Today in class we went over UP p.19-20 about the who supported each theory; Darwin, Lamarack, both, or neither. These were the answers:
1. Darwin 2. Darwin 3. both
4. Lamarack 5. Darwin 6. Darwin
7. Darwin 8. Lamarack 9. Darwin
10. Darwin 11. neither 12. Darwin
13. Darwin 14. Lamarack 15. Lamarack
16. Darwin 17. Darwin 18. Lamarack
19. Darwin 20. Neither 21. Lamarack
22. Darwin 23. Lamarack 24. Darwin
25. Lamarack 26. Darwin 27. Lamarack
28. Darwin 29. Darwin 30. Lamarack
*You do need to know Darwin and Lamarack's theories and how they were different for the test.
We also finished our notes from pages 15-16 where we learned about Natural Selection in Action. Some examples are:
- Evolution of finches on Galapagos Islands: the islands were colonized by finches that strayed from the South American mainland.
- Pesticides-do not create resistant individuals, but selects for resistant insects that were already present in the population.
- 2 populations of trees are separated by a river (particularly isolated from each other). Trees are more likely to breed with members of the same population on the same side of the river. Each side of trees could evolve different traits.
Next we did an in class lab on UP p. 25. In this lab we created an artificial environment to demonstrate the concept of natural selection. Are materials were:
- A piece of patterned fabric (artificial environment)
- 10 different colors of construction paper
- Petri dish